Xiaomi has a new update for yet another budget phone in the Redmi Note 5 AI that installs the stable version of Android 9 Pie. This is the first major OS upgrade for a device that came into the local market a year ago running Oreo out of the box.
The update, as expected, is souped-up with MIUI 10.3.1, the company’s custom skin that was developed with Pie in mind. Yes, some of the features of Android Pie like the use of gestures for navigation have been in MIUI 10 since last year, so it shouldn’t be hard getting used to Pie.
Also part of the Pie upgrade is a system-wide dark mode, a new charging animation and the latest Android security patch for May 2019, among other changes and improvements under the hood.
The OTA just started rolling out a while ago in India, where the same device goes by the name Redmi Note 5 Pro. As usual with OTA rollouts, you may have to wait for weeks before the OS arrives on your device.
If you can’t wait, we have the download link to the MIUI 10.3.1 ROM that should install Pie on your Note 5 AI device right away. Installing this recovery ROM is such a breeze and if you don’t know how to, we’ll show you in a simple guide below.
Note: Before you take this route, be sure to backup all your important stuff since the upgrade to Pie may erase all data and apps currently installed on your Redmi Note 5 AI.
- Download the Pie-based recovery ROM here using your phone. It weighs 1.6GB, so be sure to get a stable internet connection. If you downloaded it using a computer, transfer the ROM to your phone using a USB cable
- Now, go to your phone’s Settings > About phone > System update
- Tap on the 3-dot menu in the top right corner and then Choose update package
- Find the location of the ROM you downloaded in step 1 above and select it
- The system will verify the update and install it automatically
The process will likely ask you to confirm that you actually want to install the new ROM on your phone. Well, don’t you?
If you need any help, get to us via the comments section.