Two-factor authentication, the ability to add an extra layer of protection to an account using another service like SMS to validate log ins, has been available to a few Android users of popular photo-based social network Instagram for a while now. At least since towards the end of last year. The feature was previously limited to users of iOS devices.
With Instagram finally making it available to more and more users of Android devices, here’s a quick walkthrough of how to make sure your Instagram account is never at risk of falling in the wrong hands.
1. Open the Instagram app on your Android device and click your profile icon.
2. Click the 3-dot menu at the top.
3. Scroll through the various settings options to where you can see the Two-Factor Authentication option
4. Click it
5. Toggle on Require Security Code
6. Verify your phone number using the security code sent via SMS to your device
7. Take note of your security backup codes. They may come in handy if the verification text does not arrive when you need it. This can be either by copying the codes to your device’s clipboard for onward pasting somewhere else safe or by taking a screenshot which is then saved to the device’s gallery app. Both options are offered.
You did it!