Xiaomi, the Chinese device maker that is angling for a comeback in the local smartphone market after a year of silence and users having to rely on third party retailers like the unreliable folks at Avechi Kenya, is taking its commitment a notch higher.
Starting this month and going all the way to mid-April, Xiaomi plans to update as many as over 30 smartphones in its Mi, Redmi and Redmi Note series to the latest version of its in-house MIUI software, version 9.5.
According to a post on Xiaomi’s official forums, these are the devices that can expect to make the jump to MIUI 9.5:
|Getting updated in late March||Getting updated in early April||Getting updated in mid-April|
|Redmi Note 3 Special Edition||Redmi Note 5A Prime/Redmi Y1||Mi Note 2|
|Redmi Note 3 (with Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset)||Redmi Note 5A/Redmi Y1 Lite||Mi 5s|
|Redmi Note 4 (both with Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset and the one with a MediaTek processor)||Redmi 5A||Mi MIX|
|Redmi Note 4X||Redmi 5 Plus||Mi Note 3|
|Redmi 3S||Redmi Note 5||Mi 5s Plus|
|Redmi 4 Prime||Redmi Note 5 Pro||Redmi Note 2|
|Redmi 4A||Redmi 5||Redmi 3|
|Mi Max||Mi Max 2||Redmi 4|
|Mi Max Prime||Mi 5||Mi 3|
|Mi 5 Pro||Mi 4|
|Mi MIX 2|
Mid last year, Xiaomi announced plans to start seeding the then unreleased Android Nougat update to at least 15 devices. Later that year, the company made available version 9.0 of MIUI to some of the devices.
Some of the features that MIUI 9.5 brings with it are as follows:
- The ability to transfer apps either with their user data or without using Mi Mover
- The ability to resume paused transfers when using Mi Mover to transfer stuff (apps, app data, files etc)
- The ability to favourite some photos in the image gallery
- Speed dial (imagine, a smartphone lacking built-in support for this feature!)
- Ability to set one-time data limits i.e. hotspot turns off automatically when set data limit is reached (my favourite feature on Huawei smartphones)
There are lots of fixes as well in addition to several more features. Check the Mi forums for all the details.