[Updatex2: Fixed] Latest mySafaricom app is forcing users to use mobile data, a fix is coming soon

Update [Nov 15]: It seems Safaricom has fixed the issue that was affecting the latest version After downgrading to the older version for a while, I updated the app once again and to my surprise, it is working fine.

Let us know if things have changed on your end too.

Update [Nov 14]: I am an unhappy user of mySafaricom app because days after the buggy update that rendered the app unusable was released, Safaricom has yet to fix the issue with version If you, like me, are a heavy user of the app, you may find this continued delay quite annoying, which is why this unofficial fix to this issue should interest you.

Since the bug is affecting version of the app, you can simply roll back to the older version that had no such issues, that is, v1.4.0.3. There is no official way of doing this, but you can grab the APK file and install it manually, although this will require that you first uninstall the current version of the app and enable Unknown sources in the security/privacy settings menu when prompted.

→ Download mySafaricom APK []


[Original post] Safaricom has a growing number of apps in the Google Play Store, but it is the main mySafaricom app that has always retained a permanent place on my home screen.

The app recently got an update that bumped the version to and while this update came with plenty of goodies such as support for global money transfers and another service dubbed FULIZA, it also brings along an annoying bug.

Last evening, I formatted my phone to factory settings and hence had to re-install my apps, including mySafaricom app. While downloading and installing the app was a breeze as always, the app won’t let me log in, claiming that I must switch to mobile data in order to proceed. Apparently, this is because a Wi-Fi network doesn’t guarantee proper security needed despite the fact that my Wi-Fi is provided by the same Safaricom.

READ:  Tecno set to release new Camon 11 smartphone in Kenya soon

As always, I took to Twitter to direct my dissatisfaction at Safaricom and when they got back this morning, the representative said that they are aware of this issue and a fix is in the works. Whether this fix will come as a small update or will be effected from the server side is still unclear, but it appears that I am not alone in this.

A quick look at the Google Play Store review page for the app reveals a number of related complains, although I couldn’t establish whether the affected were first-time users of the app or the issue is affecting every other user of the app.

mySafaricom app issues

Of course, you can let us know how things are on your end via the comments section below.

We’ll update this post when a fix is available, for now, let’s go back home to the SIM toolkit.

Food, Football, Reggae, Tech. In that order, probably.